Skanda: The Attacker: A Telugu Action Film with Mixed Reviews and Box Office Disappointment
Skanda: The Attacker is an Indian Telugu-language action film directed by Boyapati Srinu and produced by Srinivasaa Chitturi in collaboration with Zee Studios. The movie stars Ram Pothineni in a dual role, along with Sreeleela, Saiee Manjrekar, Srikanth, Sharath Lohithaswa, Ajay Purkar, Daggubati Raja, and Prince Cecil.
The Skanda Movie was announced in February 2022 under the tentative title BoyapatiRAPO and later changed to Skanda in July 2023. Principal photography began in October 2022 and wrapped up in August 2023. Thaman S composed the music, while Santosh Detake and Tammiraju handled the cinematography and editing, respectively.
Skanda was released on September 28, 2023, and received mixed-to-negative reviews from critics. The film had a budget of ₹90 crore and grossed ₹59.20 crore, making it a box-office bomb.
Plot Summary of Skanda Movie 2023
Skanda is a movie about a college student named Bhaskar Raju who kidnaps the daughters of two powerful politicians in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Bhaskar’s actions are connected to the imprisonment of CEO Rudrakanti Ramakrishna Raju, who was falsely accused by the politicians of refusing to legitimize their illegal money.
Bhaskar wants to prove Ramakrishna Raju’s innocence and is aided by his doppelgänger, Skanda, a notorious assassin from Morocco. The politicians confess their crimes to the media, and Skanda walks away, hinting at a sequel.
Skanda Movie Release Date
Skanda was originally scheduled to be released on 20 October 2023 in Telugu, along with dubbed versions in Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, and Malayalam languages. However, the release date was moved up to 28 September 2023.
The satellite rights of the film were acquired by Disney Star for the regional languages, while the Hindi version was sold to Zee Cinema.
Disney+ Hotstar acquired the digital streaming rights for the film, which premiered on 2 November 2023 in Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Kannada languages.
Also Read: 12BET : Online Betting Site In India.
Skanda Movie Review
Skanda received mixed-to-negative reviews from critics. Praise was given to Ram Pothineni’s performance and the action sequences, while the story and screenplay were criticized.
- 123Telugu gave the film 3/5 stars, stating that it is a mass-action entertainer with a solid performance by Ram Pothineni. They mentioned energetic action scenes and dances worth watching. However, they also pointed out that the film’s simple story, illogical action sequences, and sluggish second half might not appeal to everyone.
- Neeshita Nyayapati of The Times of India gave the film 2/5 stars. She mentioned that Skanda is not a film where one expects logic, but with only Ram and a few action sequences going for it, there isn’t much left to entertain either.
- Prakash Pecheti of The South First gave the film 1.5/5 stars. He described Skanda as a regular, routine, and formulaic narrative by Boyapati Srinu. He criticized the logicless story and absurd comedy, suggesting that it might even spoil the day of revelry during Ganesh immersion.
- Srivathsan Nadadhur of OTTplay gave the film 1/5 stars. He stated that Skanda makes Boyapati’s previous dud – Vinaya Vidheya Rama – seem infinitely better. He criticized the film overall and mentioned Ram Pothineni’s script selection woes. He also pointed out that composer Thaman, who is known for action entertainers, missed the mark with this film.
- Abhilasha Cherukuri of Cinema Express gave the film 1/5 stars. She expressed that Skanda might be the final blow to the Boyapati formula.
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo of The Hindu criticized the film for lacking innovation in storytelling, characterizations, music, and action choreography. She described it as a relentless celebration of high-decibel mass fest and suggested keeping noise-cancelling earphones handy. She also mentioned that the ending scene hints at a possible sequel.
- BVS Prakash of Deccan Chronicle criticized the characterization and screenwriting of Skanda, labeling it as a “mindless gory action saga”.
Future of Movie
The ending scene of Skanda indicates that there may be a second part titled “Unfolding in Skanda – II”. However, Boyapati later stated in an interview that he will not be continuing with a sequel due to the film’s underwhelming performance at the box office.